A Little Bit Technical
Hello there, I am Garth the other team member.
I will be going into a slightly bit of the technical side of how we are handling our project. This is the first time I have ever had to work with someone on a large enough project to warrant using source control and so forth. And this will all be a learning experience for me. That's not to say I haven't used source control before, just not with another person.
We are using Git as our version control platform with a bare repository stored in a shared Dropbox folder. This seems to make sense to me, we will however see if this will work out well in the end, I am hopeful.
Furthermore we have split the project into two separate entities, the client side and the server side. We have separate repositories for each. Within each repository we have two main branches, main and working. The main branch will hopefully be our most stable branch whereas the working branch will be where the most changes will be taking place.
We are going to be using the Unity game engine for the client side as I have experience with the Unity engine so the learning curve is a lot less. Also Unity provides an excellent platform for quick iterations on concepts which should prove to be beneficial.
We are going to be coding the dedicated server using the .NET framework, Daniel is still in the process of investigating all the nitty gritties that are going to come with that. The reason for the entire separation from Unity for the server is mostly to ensure that it is possible for the server to be entirely dedicated, so it could run on a server and so forth.
We have planned to do code reviews on each main check-in, this should allow us to catch a lot of the more obvious bugs that could slip in and to perhaps catch other errors or so on.
I hope this gives some insight into our more technical side of the project, hopefully the next post will be more about the project in general.
Regards,
Garth
I will be going into a slightly bit of the technical side of how we are handling our project. This is the first time I have ever had to work with someone on a large enough project to warrant using source control and so forth. And this will all be a learning experience for me. That's not to say I haven't used source control before, just not with another person.
We are using Git as our version control platform with a bare repository stored in a shared Dropbox folder. This seems to make sense to me, we will however see if this will work out well in the end, I am hopeful.
Furthermore we have split the project into two separate entities, the client side and the server side. We have separate repositories for each. Within each repository we have two main branches, main and working. The main branch will hopefully be our most stable branch whereas the working branch will be where the most changes will be taking place.
We are going to be using the Unity game engine for the client side as I have experience with the Unity engine so the learning curve is a lot less. Also Unity provides an excellent platform for quick iterations on concepts which should prove to be beneficial.
We are going to be coding the dedicated server using the .NET framework, Daniel is still in the process of investigating all the nitty gritties that are going to come with that. The reason for the entire separation from Unity for the server is mostly to ensure that it is possible for the server to be entirely dedicated, so it could run on a server and so forth.
We have planned to do code reviews on each main check-in, this should allow us to catch a lot of the more obvious bugs that could slip in and to perhaps catch other errors or so on.
I hope this gives some insight into our more technical side of the project, hopefully the next post will be more about the project in general.
Regards,
Garth
Comments
Post a Comment